Since last fall, Camden County officials, led by Interim Public Works Director Robert Strickland and Senior Project Manager Mercy Thompson, have been working through the approval process with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Georgia Emergency Management Agency (GEMA) on the $256,200 project to replace the crossing. Construction by Southern Concrete Construction began after the bid was approved at the April 17, 2018, Board of Commissioners meeting.
District 2 Commissioner Chuck Clark (center), joined by District 1 Commissioner Lannie Brant (far left), County Administrator Steve Howard, Camden County Public Works Staff, Lang Lane area residents, and Deputy County Administrator Shawn Boatright, cuts the ribbon opening the Lang Lane Bridge
“We are excited to finally be able to open this bridge for the residents of Lang Lane,” said Deputy County Administrator Shawn Boatright. “We are thankful for their patience during the planning, approval, and construction process. They have been greatly inconvenienced since Hurricane Irma and are now able to return to their normal, daily routines.”
Lang Lane resident, Kevin Lang, leads neighbors across the new bridge
FEMA and GEMA are expected to reimburse Camden County for 85% of the cost, while Camden County is responsible for the remaining 15%. Camden County Public Works provided the material and road work on Lang Lane leading to the bridge. Thomas & Hutton provided the design for the 24’ by 60’ pre-cast, three-span bridge. Each of the twelve pilings has been tested to support an average of 130 tons of pressure. The new bridge is part of mitigation efforts from FEMA and GEMA through Camden County to withstand a storm comparable to Hurricane Irma.
Lang Lane after Hurricane Irma